After a long time, I intend to build a 1/144-scale airplane plastic model. It’s Arii’s type-two large flying boat so it could be pretty big. This kit from Alii has been sold for quite a long time, so many people probably made it.
Well, I bought a new product, so even if it has some stock period, it has not deteriorated. The decal is beautiful, and the quality doesn’t seem to matter. A big kit for 1/144; it doesn’t seem to have that many parts.
The inside of the cockpit and gun seat are not reproduced so precisely. A slight degree of visibility through the canopy, so I painted it with the interior colors of the fuselage, and the seats are painted brown.
I painted the machine gun black because I attached the anti-aircraft machine gun from the inside and glued the canopy together. All connections were good except for a gap of about 0.2 mm at the back of the cockpit canopy. I think it’s getting more like a giant flying boat.
The pulleys on the underside of the fuselage were glued together. It will probably be tough if I forget to make a hole to fit it in. The pulleys installed in three places will be stable when decorated, which is nice. A thin thread is stretched around the reinforcement of the float attached under the main wing. The thread is inserted into pre-drilled holes and fixed with instant glue. It’s scary because the thread is coming out halfway, making it a perfect play target for domestic cats. The line used was No. 0.5, used when fishing small fish. It’s a regular black line.
Usually, I finish the basic painting and decal pasting before I attach the antenna wire. I worked on stringing around the float this time, so I attached delicate parts and then strung the antenna wire.
It has a long range of about 7000 km. This range is from Tokyo to Hawaii or so. We had a lot of time on duty, so we had a bunk and a rest area. The maximum bomb it could carry was two tons. 60 kg x 16 or 250 kg x 8 or 800 kg x 2 or aerial torpedoes x 2.
From the beginning, the clear parts, such as the gun seat and cockpit canopy, were somehow masked to keep the clarity. Many other molds on the side looked like windows, so I painted white and then clear blue. I painted the part that I thought would be a window like that. But it looks pretty different from the clear part, so now that I think about it, it might have been more natural to paint it with grayed silver and cover it with clear. I can’t tell the manufacturer to make clear parts because it’s an old kit, and I’d like to make the ultimate Hasegawa kit one day.
The marking is 801 Naval Air Corps. The Yokohama Naval Air Corps was renamed the 801st Naval Air Corps in November 1942. The Navy’s first flying boat unit engaged in oceanic reconnaissance and patrol activities. At one stage, they even went to patrol around Rabaul.
Halfway through, I wondered if the canopy masking got messy, but when I finished it, I was glad I worked properly because it was colored in its way. A sharp design knife is more efficient for fine masking. Next time, I’d like to work on the whole thing more carefully.
I am interested in models of tanks, airplanes, ships, military figures, I build them little by little when I feel like it. I am also interested in the history of war. My starting is Tamiya’s Military Miniature series in elementary school.
From elementary school through university students repeatedly suspend and restart my modeling, it’s about 25 years of this hobby’s history.
From February 2007 I was quietly doing a site called “Miniature-Arcadia”. It is being transferred to this blog with the same name from December 2016. My update pace is uneven, but please come to see me here occasionally.